Our three-day trip is a wonderful way to become acquainted with the special environment of a cloud forest.
We offer our guests a unique stay in paradise, surrounded by myriads of hummingbirds!
You will enjoy our gourmet food, the fabulous views of forest and mountains, and our extensive network of safe, well-marked trails.
Our itinerary gives you the choice of a variety of guided activities, or the chance to explore on your own, or indeed just to relax! Note that you can choose according to your interests and level of physical challenge you want.... easy hikes to full-scale adventure!
- 6:30 AM departure from your hotel in Quito City. Special fees apply for pick ups and drop offs at the Quito Airport or nearby hotels. Airport pick ups are available any day from 6 AM to 6 PM.
- Arrival and breakfast in Bellavista.
- Naturalist guided hike
- Settle in, and lunch.
- Afternoon: Forest hike â discover the ecology of this mysterious forest - and/or bird watching. Dinner.
- Early morning bird hike â pre dawn departure
- Hike to a waterfall hidden in the forest, or walk our Self-guided Trail. Lunch
- Afternoon: Further options for easy hikes or true adventure, alone or with a guide! Dinner
- Early morning bird hike
- Optional- we offer more than 20 optional day excursions. Please enquire with our Quito office or at Bellavista
- Afternoon: siesta
- 3 PM departure from Bellavista
- Arrive at your Quito hotel at around 5 PM
Leaving Quito , we descend a scenic mountain road reaching the turn to Bellavista, you climb to the top of the mountain, again with fabulous views, where Bellavistaâs lodge is perched.
Settle into your room, and enjoy the flurry of the hummingbirds or take a hike into the forest on our varied trails. After lunch, you can take a hike on your own into the forest, or go on one of our (included) guided hikes. Your guided hike will acquaint you with the exuberant vegetation of the cloud forest, its bird life, and the fascinating adaptations to life in this special environment.
The evening is relaxed; we will help you discover the incredible variety of moths, many of which are unknown to science!
After a refreshing nightâs sleep, an ample breakfast is served. Afterwards, take a guided hike or explore further on your own.
After lunch, an afternoon hike deep into the valleys of the reserve is recommended, and in the evening it is possible to see night birds and more.
On day three, an early morning bird hike is recommended to discover more about the colourful denizens of the forest. After breakfast, we offer the chance for an adventurous hike to a waterfall hidden deep in the forest.
Others may prefer a more leisurely hike along trails closer to the lodge, or to simply soak in the fascination of the ever-present hummingbirds.
After lunch you are welcome in the offivce of the lodge to pay your final bills and then take a final short hike in the forest, or a peaceful siesta, until it is time to leave, normally at 3 PM, to be back in Quito by around 5 PM.
What to bring:
- Change of clothes (two better)
- Warm clothes for the evenings
- Rain poncho (some are available at the lodge)
- Sunhat and sunscreen
- Rubber boots provided - up to size 47 (few pairs only in largest sizes). No extra cost.
What is included:
- 8 meals, starting with breakfast on Day One, and finishing with lunch on Day Three
- 2 night accommodation
- Shared naturalist guided hikes
- Access to 700 hectare Reserve
- Private, round trip transport from/to Quito City. Important note: transfers from / to Tababela Airport or hotels nearby are available at extra cost.
- Special fees apply for pick ups and drop offs at the Quito Airport. Airport pick ups are available any day from 6 AM to 6 PM.